Revered Guruji Dr. Chandra Bhanu Satpathy is a renowned spiritual leader, philanthropist, philosopher, writer, lyricist, music composer and above all a great devotee of Shiridi Sal Baba. He has dedicated His whole lite to serve His Guru-Shiridi Sai by serving the humanity world wide. When people ask him regarding the tremendous transformation in his life, he, without any hesitation or mincing a word, immediately says that “It is Shirdi Sai Baba who is his life’s guiding light and that he has no other Guru except Shri Sai and that he has surrendered at the sacred feet of Shri Sai”.
Guruji Chandra Bhanu Satpathy, son of late Shri Gokula Chandra Satpathy and Smt. Harsha Mayee Satpathy was bornin the year 1948, in the city of Cuttack, Odisha. He inherited the talents very remarkably in the ﬁeld of music, literature and culture from His father. He started writing short stories about the then active society in his young age, which used to be published in the local newspaper of Odisha and some of them were translated to Hindi language and published in the Saptahik Hindustan. Aﬂer graduating in political science from Delhi University, He joined the lndian Police Service in the year 1972 and served under the Government of India for 36 years and retired as the Director General of Police.
Number of books written by Dr. Satpathy on Shirdi Sai Baba, spirituality, perfect masters,Guru Parampara and cosmogony have been translated into various languages such as German, Spanish, Nepalese and Slovenian and in nine Indian languages including Sanskrit and Hindi. He has been contributing articles in more than 20 magazines like Sai Divine(English), Sai Ananta (Marathi), Heritage of Shirdi Sai (English), Sai Baani (Odia) and many more. His books and articles focus on humanitarian, cultural and ethical issues. Guruji has also written literary social satires in his mother tongue Odia. For his literary contribution, Guruji has been honored with many leading awards and felicitations in India and abroad.
Humanitarian and Social Activities
Shri C B Satpathy has constantly endeavored for the welfare of the society and the underprivileged. Under his inspiration and able guidance, hundreds of charitable organizations and Non-Government Organizations have dedicated themselves for the welfare of the people all over the world. Some of the organizations he has created, conceptualized and inspired in the philanthropic path and their activities are as below:
- Guruji is the Patron of ‘Swabhiman‘ and ‘Anjali‘, two societies in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, which aims at the noble cause of working towards establishing determination, equal opportunities and self-respect of the disabled people.
- Guruji is the Chief Patron and member of the Advisory Body of ‘Sukarya‘, a registered, non-governmental organization working to improve the health and well-being of the underprivileged, especially women, children and adolescents living in the villages and slums of Haryana since 1998.
- Shri C B Satpathy is the Founder Trustee of Shirdi Sai Global Foundation, an organization committed towards social welfare providing massive relief and rehabilitation work. This organization helped families with food, medicine, dress, blankets, utensils and tents in the very difficult terrains of Uttarakhand. In Odisha, mobile medical facilities with doctors and medicines were provided to people along with free distribution of food. Similarly, in 2014, the Foundation took up massive relief work in coordination with CII and lndian Army during Kashmir ﬂoods.
- Shri C B Satpathy had been working tirelessly for the welfare of the lepers through various organizations benefiting lepers in the form of medical aid, free food and clothing etc. – Jeevan Deep Leper Colony situated at R,K. Puram, New Delhi.
Guruji is the Patron and guiding force of more than hundred Charitable Trusts spread across India and such organizations in USA, Australia, UK, Canada and South Africa. These Charitable Organizations are instrumental in running tree dispensaries, conducting free medical camps, feeding the poor, distributing clothes to the needy and contributing to various other social causes in different parts of India. Till date, about 500 such camps have been conducted all over the world.
Guruji is the patron of Sai International School, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, Founder Patron ofShirdi Sai Baba Public School at Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh. These schools were conceptualized by Guruji, with the aim of providing value based education, reserving seats for meritorious students hailing from economically backward families and provide them free education.
Religious and Spiritual Activities
Sai Movement in India:- in 1989 Shri C B Satpathy became a devotee of Shri Shirdi Sai Baba, the famous 19th century saint of Maharashtra. Being inﬂuenced by Baba, he has been leading in spreading Shri Sal faith all over India and various parts of the world. Millions of people have been guided by Him to follow the holy path of Shri Shirdi Sai. He has inspired and guided in creation of more than 230 Sai temples in India and Chief Patron of more than 60 Spiritual and Charitable trusts world wide. He has been Instrumental in organizing Shirdi Sal Baba Camp at Kumbha Mela Allahabad (1995,2001,2007) , Nasik (2003) , Haridwar (2004) , Tighari mela on the bank of river Ganges at Garh Mukteshwar on the borders of Meerut and Moradabad districts where tens of thousands of Sai Devotees participated and gained knowledge about BABA and obtained Spiritual Guidance from Guruji.
Sai Movement across the world:- Under his inspiration and guidance. SAI UTSAV (International Conference on Shirdi Sai Baba) in different countries e.g. Chicago-2001 and 2009, USA Sydney-2002, Australia; Canada, UK, South Africa etc since 2001 are being organized. He is instrumental in creation of more than 10 Sai temples in countries like US, Canada, Australia, UK, South Africa etc.
In April, 2014, the prestigious Siksha O Anusandhan University conferred upon Guruji the prestigious title “Honoris Cause Degree of Doctor of Science (D,Sc.)” for his outstanding contribution in the ﬁeld of science through the epic “Gopya Ru Agopya’” authored by him. In Aug, 2012, Ravenshaw University conferred upon him the prestigious title Honoris Cause: (D.Litt.) for his eminence and invaluable contributions to the cause of public interest. In May, 2012, the prestigious Berhampur University conferred upon him the title Doctorate in Law (LL.D) for his phenomenal contribution to the society.
In addition to his literary recognition he also has been recognized for his humanitarian activities. He was honored with Building Bridges Across Nations award at the Washington State summit on US-India Trade & Commerce, September 27th, 2012 at Seattle, Washington for his service to humanity across nations.
In 2012, He was recognized by Lt, Governor of the State at Washington, USA for conducting humanitarian activities like organizing medical camps, rendering help during natural calamities and education for the underprivileged. In the same year, Guruji was felicitated by Congressman Adam Smith of Washington State, USA, for literary and scholastic excellence and humanitarian activities.
Books Authored by Guruji
- Shirdi Sai Baba and Other Perfect Masters (2001), published by Sterling Publishers, New Delhi. translated in many regional languages like Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu. Odia, Bengali. Gujarati etc. and also into international languages like ‘Ukrainian‘, Spanish and ‘Nepalese’.
- Sai Sharan Main (2005), containing devotional poems and lyrics published by Sterling Publishers, New Delhi.
- Bhakti Naivedya (2004). containing devotional poems and lyrics published by Shri Sai Sadhana Trust. Bhubaneswar.
- Baba May I Answer (2009), published by Sterling Publishers, New Delhi has been translated in may regional languages like Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Odia, Bengali. Gujarati etc.
- Gopya ru Agopya (2010), A book on Hindu Cosmology. Cosmogony and Hindu Spiritual Science in Odia language written in fourteen lettered poetic meter and also translated into Sanskrit.
- Shri Sai Smarane (Odia) (2012), containing devotional poems and lyrics.
- Shri Sai Satcharita 0 Shri Sai Aradhana (Odia) (2013) ,comprising or Shri Sai Satcharita, the epic book on the life and teachings of Shri Sai Baba and simple ways of his worship.
- Shri Guru Bhagabata (2010 to 2014) Five volumes of monumental work in Odia language written in nine lettered poetic meter (lines with nine letters each, in couplet form) consisting of about 20,000 lines, depicting the glory of the Masters, highlighting the Guru-disciple relationship while describing the invaluable aspects of human life and is theencyclopedia on all aspects of spirituality. The poetic lines from the book are being aired in AIR and many TV Channels, being sung by leading singers. The popularity oi the book has crossed the boundaries of Odia speaking regions and the books have been translated and sung by non-Odia speaking people throughout India and the world. English and Hindi versions of Part I to IV have also been published. These are also being translated and published in Assamese, Telugu and Bengali languages.
- Shri Guru Bhagabata Divyanubhava (Vol-I) and Shri Guru Bhagabata Divyanubhuti (Vol-ll) (2013). Many prominent personalities from india and abroad belonging to various ﬁelds like literary, academic, administrative, philanthropic etc have acclaimed the epic ‘Guru Bhagabata’ through various articles or analysis, analogy etc. These articles have been compiled and published in these two volumes.
- Guruji was instrumental in translating Shri Sai Satcharita into brail language and distributed it freely among the blind devotees of Shirdi Sai Baba.
- He translated the book “God who descended on earth” into French, Spanish and Nepalese and also translated Shirdi Sai Baba’s Aartis into Spanish, Oriya, Hindi and English languages.Music composed by Guruji
Guruji is an approved composer of All India Radio (AIR) in Geet, Ghazal and Bhajan (Hindi) since 1983. He is a lyricist and composer of devotional songs in Hindi, Odia, Telugu and in Tamil which were sung by leading singers like Suresh Wadkar, Sadhna Sargam, Shankar Mahadevan, Sukhvindar Singh, Shreya Ghoshal, Rekha Bhardwaj, Shaan, Kailash Kher, Mohit Chauhan, and Shilpa Rao. Following are some of the albums composed by Guruji:
- Living With Sai (2009)
- Tubhyam Namami (2010) [CD containing devotional hymns in Sanskrit, written, composed and sung by Guruji.]
- Aao Sai (2011)
- Shri Sainathaya Namah Namah (2011)
- Shri Guru Bhagabata & Shri Jagannath Stabaka and Sri Sai Charane (2011)
- Shri Jagganathaya Namah (2012)
- Gopya ru Agopya (2012)
- Hiranyagarbha Shriman Narayan Sai (2012)
- Sai Mera Palanhaar and Vardaan do Sai (2013)
- Chala Pathara Geeta (Odia) (2015)
Millions of people have come in contact with him over the last two decades to find solutions to their materialistic, psychological, commercial & health issues or active spiritual evolution. He is a living example of the fact that ONE CAN BE IN THIS MATERIALISTIC WORLD OF MONEY, RELATIONS, DUTIES AND STILL BE PIOUS AND BE A DETACHED SAINT AT HEART.
Guruji is a great believer of the prophecy of Simplicity inspires us to be simple. He teaches us that ‘Its easy to be complex, but difficult to be simple’ and ‘One can realize SAI only through simplicity’.
Guruji is aged sixty plus and resides in New Delhi, India with his family.